20 October 2015

Gunfighter Diary Desert Storm 06 Feb 91

06 Feb 91

Held a memorial service today for Injun, Super Dave, Al and Kurt. I'm dealing with it by storing it away somewhere. Spent most of the day goofing off with Peewee. CO read a poem that he found in Injun's belongings, kind of eerie.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Jim was the best person I have ever known. I can't ever remember a cross word from him or seeing him in a bad mood. He shared his frustrations in life wit me, but they never seemed to wear on him like they could other people. He remained concerned with Liz and the twins, they were very important to him. Alex, he always made sure she was taken care of. And he always talked highly of Nora. We had some funny letter count wars going...."Hey, did you get any mail today? Any pictures? No? Oh really, she sent me some!" And Jim got good letters.

It will be a while before I have another close friend like that, and makes me want to tell the others to be careful out there, like they're not doing that already. Injun, always one step ahead of us, gone off and left us here to deal with this crap. But he'll be happy knowing I'll get more flight time now and he'll get to go with me every time.

No comments: