15 July 2007

Gunfighter Diary Desert Shield 13 Dec 90

13 Dec 90
The Group selection board is still meeting. Whoever they select is 99% guaranteed SSgt, as there are only 3 groups. Maybe we'll even send 2 guys?

Haven't flown this week, but keeping up with the paperwork for the past few days has been fun. It was one of the most gratifying things that I have done since I've been here. Regardless of who gets selected, that person has to feel great about being recognized as their Squadron's top NCO. All this stuff brought back memories of how good it felt to be meritoriously promoted to every enlisted rank that I held. My favorite was being a Cpl at 29 Palms. We had a formation after the days flights were over and the Skipper had a surprise for me, my promotion to Sgt. I wasn't expecting to be actually promoted until we returned to El Toro. That was a fun ride back to camp in the 6 ton.

Got a radio, now we'll be able to hear how soon we'll be coming home.

No comments: