15 October 2005

Gunfighter Diary Desert Shield 29 Sep 90

29 SEP 90

Another day in the litter box. Boring day but a chance to catch up on some rest. Got up, made the 0615 maintenance meeting, went and ate breakfast, then came to tent and slept til 1030. I seem to be over my stomach flu, but I’m still a little tired for whatever reason. Haven’t flown in 11 days, that’s unusual.. Not many Huey guys have been flying. Bean has more hours than me now, bastard!. They’re concentrating on getting the new guys 25 hours of goggle time so they can carry passengers and training NVG Phase III instructors, so we can fly during low light conditions. So of course, I’m in the middle of the group, not flying anything. I’ve enjoyed the break, but it’s getting old fast.
Went to the squadron, tried to look busy for 4 hours, tried to figure out where all my goggles were, then ate dinner and watched a movie with Injun, Iron Eagle II. I would have been upset if I had wasted electricity to watch this at home, it was really lame. No, I mean really lame...
Guess where I was 11 years ago? Standing on those yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego. I wish I were there again now, at least those guys have self respect and adult leadership. Who would’ve thought I’d be here today? Not me, certainly. It’s been a challenge at times.
More favorite past times at Desert Shield. Herd scorpions, collect dung beetles, fight over newspaper lingerie ads.

No comments: