14 October 2005

Gunfighter Diary Desert Shield 10 Sep 90


234 sports an new paint job, next to the Jubail tower. C-5 taxiing to leave in the background, missed my chance for a PX run.

10 SEP 90

160171, 2K2, .5, FCF

Exciting times. 2 more days and we draw Family Separation Allowance. What will we do with all that extra money. Too much excitement in the sand box. Got up at 0500 to test, finished flying by 0730, and sat around the rest of the day. Went back to tent at 0930 to unpack from FAARP. Spent an hour reconsolidating stuff, reading mail and recycling flight suits. Took a 2 hour nap, woke up in a pool of sweat, walked back to squadron. Had omelet with ham MRE for breakfast. Wrote a few letters, relatively peaceful day. CO/AMO are bartering for material for a myriad of flight equipment projects. Saw a message going out today requesting additional people for 2 shops, Ordnance and Flight Equipment, so obviously the head shed thinks we’re undermanned for our current tasking. I guess that’s good. Many people from other squadrons have commended my guys on how organized they are. The other Flight Equipment shops are getting mad because my guys are busy making stuff, their pilots see it and say “hey, we want one of those”. I’ve got a great bunch of guys working for me, they complain very little.
Had beef stew for lunch, looked around for some missing laser pointers, sat around, had some peanut butter, crackers, fruit, juice, nut cake for dinner, and I have M&Ms for later. Tragedy today, my salt and pepper container broke open in my pack, which wouldn’t have been so bad but my M&Ms popped open also. Waaaaaaah!!! My last bag. I tried to brush them off, but they were slimy and melting. Poor things never even had a chance....sniff. So I ratted through the MREs and found one with M&Ms, I figured the Marine Corps owed me that much.
Sat around in the air conditioning, waiting for mail, got my hair trimmed, letting it grow out, but still short and comfortable. Almost an inch long now. Talked to Injun and Freddy, as in Freddy Krueger. He’s from Kentucky and refreshing to talk to, doesn’t bitch a lot. I’m trying to move away from that myself, just for my own mental sanity. There are too many things to bitch about over here. Hey, if guys rate Arctic Service ribbons, how come there’s not Desert Service ribbons with little camels and palm trees on them. Gotta write a congressman I guess.
Spot got a letter form MGen Hopkins, thanking him for the sunglasses that we “gave” him. Hey, those are temp loans buddy. It says “Mike, thanks for the sunglasses, I needed them badly. Keep up the good work. HMLA-369 may be the point of the spear. Take no prisoners. John” So now you know who’s really running the show over here, 369 F.E., keeping the man happy with a helmet and sunglasses. Funny how those little things in life...The day after he visited us at Manifa some cold Pepsis popped up out of nowhere. Glad Spot’s giving sunglasses away.
We got little welfare bags from the Red Cross today, with soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, washcloth, deodorant, nail clippers, comb, shampoo, razor, shave cream and tissues. Highlight of the day. Actually mail, arriving at 2230, was the highlight of the day. 5 letters and 4 packages of pogey bait.
Spot said put Cobra guys in left seat of Huey to reduce Huey pilot hours for a while. Hueys have flown over twice as much per airframe as the Cobras. The way I figure, Peewee and I have flown more than any other Marine crew in Saudi Arabia, which I think is cool. He has 63 hours, I have 59. So now we won’t fly for a few days and be bored out of our skulls.

No comments: