14 October 2005

Gunfighter Diary Desert Shield 03 Aug 90



Getting promoted to Captain July 1990 by Spot (left) are Injun (center) and Clark (right). Last time I had to worry aout getiing promoted! Captain was the second best rank in the Corps, right behind Sergeant. I was privileged to be both. A Mustang Marine.

Just saw that the movie Jarhead will be coming out this Fall, about Marines in the first Gulf War, Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I thought about writing a book about time I spent overseas , but figured it would be hours of boredom punctuated by minutes of excitment. Maybe a blog would be better.

I was a Marine Huey pilot with HMLA-369 Gunfighters, deployed in August 90 with 6 UH-1N Hueys and 18 AH-1W Cobras to Saudi Arabia. Our squadron was the first Marine unit to fly in Saudi. I was a young, opinionated Captain back then. I am not so young or opinionated now. These are my notes...

3 AUG 90 Fri 1300

“Do we have any body armor? We may need it. Iraq has invaded Kuwait." Irish, our AMO, has pulled me aside to let me know what is going down overseas.

No comments: