14 October 2005

Gunfighter Diary Desert Shield 02 Sep 90

2 SEP 90

160438, 5T2, Armed Reconnaissance, 5.0, 260, Peewee

Got a hair cut at “Chez Nuge”. He swears it will grow back. I asked him to cut the gray off and WOW!. It will work out fine for several reasons, the FAARP at Manifa Bay is a go and we will be spending several nights there, don’t know if they’ll have a shower any time soon. Also it will be much cooler, so I’m told. Got up at 0430, flew all day, have medevac standby tonight and can’t sleep in my own rack. Have to sleep in the noisy terminal. Fly tomorrow, move to FAARP, fly NVGs tomorrow night, plus we all got chewed out by Irish because “the entire maintenance department has its head up its ass”. Got mail. All things considered I’m not doing too bad. In fact I just thought of something that made me chuckle. MAYBE the 2 or 3 people that are running around telling the entire rest of the squadron how screwed up they are should run by a mirror next and take a look. MAYBE the other 200 plus people here in 369 have some collective, cognitive brain wave activity, just maybe. It’s the “I’m right and everyone else is wrong” syndrome, aka the Chain of Command and “shit roles downhill...fast!”
Okay, got that off my chest. I’m tired today, everyone else probably is too. Slept on the front sidewalk with a gas mask pillow....comfy. And if I’m too tired to fly NVGs tomorrow night, well too bad, so sad for the schedulers, that’s their screw up, not mine. No reason I can see to break crew day and crew rest. Trying to remain calm and not sweat the small stuff, there’s enough sweat grenades popping off as it is. Telling people to slow down when needed, so far we’ve been our own worst enemy.

No comments: